How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

5 year old Sierra Leonian girl, living with father in SL who

This answer was rated:

5 year old Sierra Leonian girl, living with father in SL who abused 14 year old cousin (mother of the child). The mother now 18 in UK-status leave to remain-living independently, studying.The father regularly demands money from the mother who cannot afford to send, also has no way of knowing that the money will be spent on the child. The mother worries that her daughter will be abused as she herself was. Ideally she'd like to bring the child to the UK. What are the child's/mother's rights/options? How can the mother access the best possible advice/support. Immigration Law and Family Law.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you although I fear that the position is not good.

You need have no concern about the immigration issue - you would be able to apply for the child to come here as your dependant without difficulty

Unfortunately the issue of who the child should live with would have to be dealt with under the law is Sierra Leone and there is no assistance that the UK court can giv ein that regard

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** that the child is in the care of the man who abused and impregnated her mother when she was still a child, would the mother not have custody rights over the father? Do you think this is primarily a family law case to be pursued through the courts in SL? Or would it be a Child protection case for International or SL Social Services to pursue?

It is both.


Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you