How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10739
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

My sister has lived in a house owned by me for nearly ten

This answer was rated:

My sister has lived in a house owned by me for nearly ten years. Can she claim adverse possession from me. This will be an amicable arrangement. The house has always been considered to be hers. The alternative of selling to her for a token sum causes tax problems

Hi, I'm afraid adverse possession applies only in cases where a party occupies a property WITHOUT the consent of the paper owner. As consent has been granted to your sister to live in the house, it is not adverse. You are free to gift the property, but as you may know, you will still be potentially subject to Capital Gains tax based on the current market value of the property. I'm sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position. Kind Regards Al

Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you