How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50161
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I bought a pair of cufflinks online and got them

This answer was rated:

I bought a pair of cufflinks online and got them personalised and when they arrived they looked nothing like the image online. The seller refused a refund because they were personalised and said that the product description matched what I was sent. Do I have any right to a refund. The image used to market the product is completely wrong and no other image was available for that particular product.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. What was so different about them from the image?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The image showed a black background cufflink with gold engraving and the ones I received were plain gold with engraving.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached a picture here but it's hard to get a good picture

Just because goods are personalised does not mean they cannot be rejected for a refund or request a repair/replacement. Personalised goods are exempt from the automatic right to reject but the rights still apply if they are faulty, not as described or not of satisfactory quality. I am not sure whether the image was of the same cufflinks but just due to the lighting and position it looked different (i.e. you can see the colour of yours is completely different on the top half than the bottom, based on how they are positioned and what is in the background, so it could be a confusion as to how they were displayed). But anyway this is a discussion point and the important thing here is that you do have a right to a refund if the item is not as described or not of satisfactory quality. As it is still within the first 6 months of purchase, it is for the seller to prove that they did match the description or that the quality is satisfactory.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have for taking this further if they refuse to refund you, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. Whilst you should contact the retailer and try to resolve this directly with them, whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.