How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I was banned for a year from American football by BAFA. This

Customer Question

I was banned for a year from American football by BAFA. This was because of things I said and did whilst manic: I have bipolar affective disorder. I believe I have been discriminated against because of my illness and would like help to assess whether I have grounds to take BAFA on legally.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Are you saying your actions was solely directed down to the condition and nothing else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Have you been medically examined and can a medical expert confirm this for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the diagnosis since 2009 and I am under prof ***** *****'s I have a letter from him confirming my behaviours were due to my illness
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If you can get medical evidence to say this was a direct cause then you may have a claim.

You need to get a Solicitor to write and set out your position asking for the position to be reversed and/or compensation.

I think its unfair that you have done things whilst under this condition and BAFA want to hold you to account. You should not be liable for any actions, violent or not, against someone else if you are disabled. You should be able to do whatever you want with your condition.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings for disability discrimination. You can do this by completing form N1:

The matter will go before a Judge who will decide whether their disgraceful behaviour is illegal and unfair.

You could also complain to the Equality Commission which can investigate and prosecute. Their website is:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.