How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49786
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Looking for help on defamation in a sunday newspaper in the

This answer was rated:

Looking for help on defamation in a sunday newspaper in the uk
I was defamed in a newspaper with blatant lies easily proved as untrue on 24th October 2015
I am a working person with no previous convictions or been in any trouble for any matter, I am just a usual family man.
I was fitted up in a sting operation with a Sunday newspaper and as a result was arrested on terror charges, had my home raided and suffered loss to my business as a result of the articles which they published next to pictures of know terrorists.
The solicitor at the time said wait until you are cleared until you file for defamation. I was then cleared, by all charges being dropped after being forced to sign on for bail at a police station for some months. Now I have 2 weeks left until the 1 year is up and I have very little funds due to it affecting my business.
What should I do? In order to get a start on filing an action for defamation
I could pay to cover the paperwork initially and then more later.
Many thanks Adam Locksley ***********

Are you asking if you can sue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The text I gave says looking for help with a defamation action. I see that your expertise is in traffic cases
So should this be passed along to another person?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Have you contacted the solicitor that initially advised you to wait?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original solicitor said that his area is not defamation and to find a defamation professional. I have no furtherongoing business with him. The time is running out and I have 2 weeks now to start an action before the 1 year is up since publication of the articles. From my own research I see that the defense from the paper would be a matter of public interest. However the public surely do not want innocent people lured into sting operations and then publicly shamed so they cant work any more? How is that in the public interest? I do not deserve to be in this position and I have had my name dragged down to the lowest level of a Terrorist Fund Raiser which is not the case AT ALL>

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Hi there, the key now is to submit your claim in the courts before the deadline is up and to have that in place to protect your position so that you do not go beyond the deadline. You do not need a solicitor to issue the claim and once that is in you can decide how to manage the process and whether to get engage solicitors or continue alone or with informal help. So get your claim form submitted to the High Court in time as a priority. At this stage you will only have to pay the claim fee

What you can consider in the long run is getting a non-win-no-fee lawyer to help you. As an example have a look at this firm which offers such an arrangement for defamation claims:

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the name of the form to submit to the high court please? how do I file it?

The form is N1:

You need to fill out the sections as required and in the top right hand corner Where it says ‘In the’ you should fill in High Court - Queens Bench Division.

You send the completed form to:

Room E07

QB Issues and Enquiries

Central Office

Royal Courts of Justice




If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you

Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49786
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Ben Jones and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben many thanks and I have done as requested and completed a review etcSo I need to know
Can I include all of the newspapers for suit on the one form?
What do I put down as amount of damages sought? It would be something from each paper?
How much should I send in with the form to file it?

you can include numerous defendants if needed

It is rather difficult to calculate defamation damages - it would depend on the seriousness of the statements, how they affected you, the losses you have suffered, etc.

It would very difficult for me to give you an idea just with the basic information I have – that is where you need to sit down with someone in person, a defamation lawyer, to calculate the value of your claim.

The fees you pay to start the claim will depend on the value of the claim. If a claim is for between £10,000 and £200,000 then the claim fee is 5% of the total. If the claim is for more than £200,000 then the fee is £10,000

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to pay that upfront to file the claim you are saying?
and what if the claim fails? Will I get the money back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ben you told me if I did your review that I could still ask you on this matter?
Now you have moved me on?
I hope I dont have to write in and retract my review

you do have to pay money up front to make a claim unfortunately. If the claim fails you do not get the money back - you can only get that back, or a proportion of it, if you withdraw the claim within a certain period after making it. But for example if you proceed to trial and lose you get nothing back. However, if you win you can make a claim for costs against the other side which can include the claim fee.

Also please be aware that I am not on this site 24/7 so there will be times when I am seeing clients, am in court, in meetings or travelling hence why a response will not always be immediate, thanks