How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6754
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a question re a situation I am in. Not sure what type

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
I have a question re a situation I am in. Not sure what type of law it is. And it seems quite ridiculous.
I am a small business and I have a dispute with another small business. I owe them money for some work, but I have not paid in full yet as I haven't seen the work completed.
They are a small factory and have my items (fabric/patterns etc) still at their factory - as they needed this to make the items. I am a tiny brand of clothing.
I recently decided to stop manufacturing with them. (They are angry at me for this decision)
I wanted to come to the factory, pay my invoices in full, and take my stuff. End of story. They said no, I had to pay before coming to the factory. This I refused to do.
That is the problem. I don't want to pay for something I haven't seen as trust has broken down. I wanted to do a bank transfer in their factory so they could see the monies arriving in their account before I left with my fabric etc.
I want to see my stock, before paying the final invoice. But they wouldn't budge. So, I paid half of the invoices. I now owe them £774.60, which is fine. I am not disputing the amount.
However, I just received a solicitors letter wanting me to pay in full for the items I haven't seen yet.
And they want to charge me interest from today. It's not even that much. It's more the principle. So the problem is not that I won't pay. I will absolutely pay.
I am unsure what I should do next. We did not have an official contract, but I would send orders, and they would make for me, and each month they would send an invoice. I'm pretty sure that forms a contract? But I always paid, after I received the goods previously.
Can they hang on to my stuff and demand payment and interest?
Can I be the person to write by return letter to the solicitor saying I am representing myself or do I need legal representation?
It seems so stupid to spend money on solicitors for such a tiny amount of money. But I really want my stock back, and I don't trust that even when I pay the final amount they will give it to me.
Many thanks

Hello Janet my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Jamie-Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there - I just want to pay the invoice owed and get my stock back without damage.

What is your number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie, what happens now?
Do you call me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please also try 01761 437207 - I live rurally - and the phone signal is sometimes not great. Thanks