How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6447
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am owed 80,000 by one individual and they are hiding from

This answer was rated:

I am owed 80,000 by one individual and they are hiding from me. I am wondering what is the chances of locating them and what cost I could be looking at for locating them and what reagan of charge for recovering that amount? Also what could be done if there not able to pay if and when located?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do they have assets such as property which you know about please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They do not have property as were living in rented accommodation, though they do state that they are holding my money though, how trusted that can be while they are being elusive is slight.

Do you know their bank account details?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All transactions were done by bank transfer, I have the record of every one to their account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also almost all communication was by text so have kept them and have digital record of the entire event.

Ok - then you can issue a county court claim against them, but there is no guarantee whatsoever you will get your money back.

You can do this online at:

Or if you are entitled to fee remission you need to do a paper claim by completing form N1:

County Court Money Claims Centre
PO Box 527
Greater Manchester
M5 0B

The court will issue the claim at the last known address for him. Once you get Judgment you can get an order freezing his bank account.

But you can only freeze what is in the account at that time and assuming it is still open.

Other than getting a person tracer like a private detective (there are many firms that trace people) then that is all you can do.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I have any more chance of recovering anything by reporting the individual to the police? As I feel I'v been the victim of extortion by means of emotional blackmail. Would their be any point in pursuing that method?

I can't say - it depends on whether they have just spent it. The reality is that you may have a paper Judgment and no money. You can report this to the Police and in particular Action Fraud.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As much as can be, yes. Thank you very much.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you