How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6749
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Re Building Dispute. I am the Claimant (homeowner)in a

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir Re Building Dispute. I am the Claimant (homeowner)in a building dispute with a builder from hell. He abandoned work and left the site in a mess with deep water filled ditches to the front of the property which caused minor injuries to my 4 yr old and at a later date to 1 workman when they fell into it. . There were leakages in different parts of the house, He also renewed underfloor heating pipes and laid screed on new extension stating that  he wanted it to be perfect(unnecessary duplication of work).  When there were leakages   from the DPC(damp proof course) he blamed previous builder for this. He was given opportunity to rectify work but didn't. During his work He hired sub-sub contractors and invoiced me £180 per worker -workmen confirmed that they were being paid only £120 per day by him. In a desperate attempt to get my house completed in 2014 before Christmas I was paying him upto £1000 on some days and was being invoiced for work when workmen were present only for a few hours per day but charging me for visiting builders merchants to collect materials. The Claim relates to defective incomplete and substandard work.Almost all work except damp has been rectified. To date the builder has failed to provide builders liability insurance despite repeated requests. Q1). Is he required to ensure he has insurance before commencing work or do I have a claim on his insurance.Can I compel him to release these details e.g. an application notice? Q2)Is the builder enquired to ensure that the floor/base he is working on is of satisfactory standard before laying underfloor heating pipes Celotex and other materials work 10k (at a cost to me) on top of this floor or can he just blame subsequent leaks and damp on presumed defective work by others. He has filed a counterclaim (and costs schedule of £60k) .

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

For now please let me know if he is a ltd company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.he is a limited company. There was no Written contract but he gave verbal assurance.

Ok. He only needs to have public liability insurance to the extent if a member of the public is injured. So whilst you could make an application for specific disclosure, he does not have to get insurance before he starts. But it is wise.

Yes, the builder should ensure the floor is suitable before laying pipes. He is the professsional, you are not. Otherwise he would just be bodging the job up.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you