How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I am not resident in the uk, However I am thinking of doing

Customer Question

I am not resident in the uk, However I am thinking of doing a privately funded course based in the UK next year which will be for more than 6 months. I have a company based in HK . I will not work for this company during the study period . Would I be classed as UK resident for tax purposes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. If you do not earn any income in the UK are not registered to pay tax here and are not entitled to work here, you will not be considered domiciled here for tax purposes. Can I assist you any further? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex Thanks for the answer. The point is I'm a UK national but not Tax resident and so AM entitled to work. My business based overseas will continue to function and am able to draw a dividend from it . I need to make sure that If I come to study for over 6 months I will not be implicated as a tax resident...Thanks
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thank you. Will you have any income while in the UK - can you avoid drawing the dividend for 6 months? If you are just a student with no income, you wont pay any tax here. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but my question is if i am physically present in the uk for 6 months would that make me tax resident, liable to pay taxes on my worldwide income for that tax year even if I was only there for studying purposes?