How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6734
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am a tenant in a centrally located building in Reading, uk

This answer was rated:

I am a tenant in a centrally located building in Reading, uk and since the beginning of last September they are building up two more floors to the existing building. I have no words to explain the noise of drilling which starts from 7 am and carries on until the construction shift is over. The refurbishment will last for 4-6 months more and to make the situation worse, they are building an office building just across my street - so the noise multiplies.
Two people are spending the whole day in the flat (3th floor out of 4 existing) and I have constant headaches lately.
My question is if I have right to ask for rent reduction, compensation or whatever the law provides to compensate me for the disturbance as my monthly rent is 900 pounds and I haven't been living in the most comfortable conditions for the past 6 weeks.
Thanks in advance,

Hello Violeta my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Is it the same landlord please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got the flat from an agency and I have no idea who has agreed on the erection. The contractor update for the ongoing works is from the construction company.

have you spoken with the council at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I haven't but I am sure the construction company is performing their works according to the legally set hours. I understand that such work involves noise but I also know that I pay for habitable place and my question is whom to address the problem as I don't think that my rent should cover somebody's extension desires.I know they won't stop creating noise but I also want to know if there is some act, article or whatever that grants me the legal right to ask for rent reduction for the construction period?

did the agent know about these works before you signed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell that but we were not informed about such intentions when the contract was signed in April.

ok. It really then depends on whether the landlord or agent knew. If they did then you are entitled to a rent reduction.

If not then it would be a Matter of discretion. However I think you can complain to the council.

Noise can only be permitted during certain times and at certain levels. They can install noise monitoring equipment to see whether or not These are being breached.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will call the council, thanks for the consultation!

All the best, ***** ***** it gets resolved

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you