How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49804
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

In June 2015 i purchased a Kitchen from Wren Kitchens, I

This answer was rated:

In June 2015 i purchased a Kitchen from Wren Kitchens, I also paid extra for the installation package. Within days of the installation faults started to appear on the kitchen doors, I approached Wren and after return visit from fitter these faults were rectified but shortly after others appeared, this has gone on now for 15months and has involved 9 return visits from fitters, replacement parts and finally a complete frontal change out of all doors, drawer fronts, pelmets, cornices and 3 side panels. I have had great problems in contacting anyone one from Wrens to take responsibility for these problems but finally, after involving the furniture ombudsman, Wren arranged for a fitter to attend to fit the replacement items which had sat in my hallway for three months. This visit was made clear to ombudsman to be final chance to rectify problem but during installation, fitter advised me that there was a colour mismatch with the panels which would require another complete changeout even more stringent than the last involving all visible items. At this stage the fitters left, with items still not replaced and i had no further contact from Wren until I wrote them a letter advising that i was exercising "My final right to refuse" based on the fact that the issue had arisen within days of installation and that i was intending to instigate legal action to claim compensation and including a breakdown of what that compensation consisted of.
Wren have offered to send a quality control inspector to investigate what is required to rectify but I made it clear that i no longer have faith in the company or their product given the amount of faults i have experienced and the problems and time delays involved in getting them rectified.
I would like to know how to progress this complaint through the courts.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

When did you officially reject it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Three weeks ago.

Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you