How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6768
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am 12 month fixed term tenancy contract, that due to no

This answer was rated:

i am 12 month fixed term tenancy contract, that due to no EPC provided by the letting company despite repeat requests, i now seek to surrender my tenancy as i feel that the landlord/ lettings compnay are in breech of contract. Do i have a case?
The house has old sash windows that don't even shut, and despite repeat request for assistance, i have had no response from the company involved. I now can't pay the fuel bills as a result of not understanding their potentisl amounts and with an EPC, i would have been aware of such ! Please advise me urgently
many Thanks

Hello Sam my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i want enough ammunition to get out of my contract without penalty. Does the landlords failure to provide me with an EPC act as a get out clause as such ?

Is that the only issue, the windows and that there is no EPC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please change my email address to***@******.*** for all further correspondence .
There have been numerous issues with the house, including block drains which I reported that ended up in an over flooding toilet and sewage poring through the house , after the plumber that the letting agency sent round , said that there wasn't any problem here . I have repeatedly asked for the window to be mended and they have not replied . With a window that had a two in gap at the top of it when shut , it suggests that the EPC would be off the scale ! I can now no longer afford to stay in this property and cannot afford the bills . I am really hoping that by not providing me with this legal requirement, that I have grounds to leave . ***@******.*** to reply please

I can't change your email address you need to log into your account and do this.

Only if you consider this to be a fundamental contract then you can leave without penalty. But it needs to be so serious that it destroys all trust and confidence and goes to the very heart of the contract.

If it is then you can leave.

However given what you have said, I dont think this is enough, but if you are personally of the view it is a fundamental breach then you can leave without penalty.

But the longer you leave it, the harder it is to claim fundamental breach.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you