How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Somebody is claiming housing benefit at an address but they

Customer Question

Somebody is claiming housing benefit at an address but they do not live at this address they live elsewhere. The housing benefit is paid directly to the tenant, not to the landlord. the landlord can prove this as he pays the mortgage with his own wages and not with the housing benefit that The tenant receives. My uestion is, is it the landlords responsibility to let the DWP know about this and what is the likely outcome of the DWP finding out and holding The landlord responsible? The tenant is a family member of the landlord and the council know about this and are fully aware that they are paying housing benefit for a house that is owned By the claimants grand son? The tenant is living at her sons house. The tenants son is also claiming jobseekers allowance. she is living at his address because she feels lonely at her own house where she claims benefit. So also what would happen to her son would he be in any trouble for letting her stay at his address not informing the DWP . if so what is the likely outcome for both people. In other words what would happen to her and what would happen to him and also what would happen to the landlord ??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the link with the landlord, just that his address is used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The landlord is The grandson of the tenant the council are aware of this and it was all agreed when they decided to let her have the house the problem its that she received the rent directly into her bank account and she does not live in the property.she lives in another property reason being that she does not want to live by herself as she is scared of basically dying! so she lives with her son in his property however her son is also claiming JSA. so that means that if if she stays with him then he must inform the DWP which he hasn't so what should her landlord to do as she is renting his property but living elsewhere and the landlord receives no rent . so what would happen to all three people the landlord the tenant and the tenant's son?