How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

We had a fixed term tenancy agreement, the landlords asked

Customer Question

We had a fixed term tenancy agreement, the landlords asked us verbally to leave earlier than the end of the contract. We have proved that we have accepted, and they have admitted our verbal acceptance. Then, when we found a house, 2 months later the landlords have change their mind again and told us not to leave anymore. However, going in court, the judge has decided that the fixed term contract state only on written notice that would've been valid and not on verbal notification. So the small claim court judge has decided, despite all the evidence that we have been given a verbal notification, in the favor of landlords and told us to pay the rest of 4 months until the end of contract. We have consulted another solicitor before taking the decision to move out, back in nov2015 and he said that the owners have surrender the terms of the contract when they have asked us to leave. The judge has ignored that because the landlords have told us not leave anymore and we have signed the new contract on the new house after they have changed their mind again. It doesn't sound very fair from our point of view. What do you think about this situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

It does sound like you have got the wrong end of the decision. I guess that there was no written confirmation of the termination and therefore the District Judge relied on the written contract.

You can appeal the decision if you do it in time (I think 21 days but check this) but this will lead to extra cost and uncertainty.

Perhaps you should speak to the solicitor you mention.