How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10953
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Arrived in U.K. In 1988. Married a britsh man in 1992 (

This answer was rated:

I am French. Arrived in U.K. In 1988. Married a britsh man in 1992 ( ceremony in France). I have never applied for residence card or British citizenship. I only have a French passport. I have worked continuously since 1988 till June 2016. I am currently looking for work. I thought I was all above board, but should I apply for citizenship?
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can wait a couple of days. If you have not found the answer by Tuesday end of play please cancel my question and refund my fee.
Thank you for your efforts.
Best wishes.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,

1. Dear *****, you will need to apply for a Permanent Residence card and hold it for a period of one year, if you wish to obtain British citizenship. This is because as an EU national you need to be able to show you were "visa-free" for a period of one year before you make an application for UK citizenship. Accordingly, at this stage, you need to apply for your Permanent Residence card. Be aware that Uk citizenship is only necessary if you wish to remain in the UK after Brexit without the need to apply for a visa. Having UK citizenship will mean you will be able to live and work in the uK without a visa, after Brexit as it is likely that that the rules will change then.

2. Here is a link to the form you need to fill in to apply for a Permanent Residence card. Fill in this form and read the guidance and you will get yourself a Permanent Residence card which you must then hold for one year and then you can apply for UK citizenship.

3. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10953
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you