How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6768
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am owed the sum of £1300.00 by a former tenant and despite

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon,
I am owed the sum of £1300.00 by a former tenant and despite several promises over the course of this year no payments have been made.
I know that the individual is working so I would like advice on the best way forward as I am thinking that maybe a application for an attachment to earning order would be the best way?
Thank you
***** *****

Hello Peter my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you already have Judgment please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jamie,No I do not have judgement on the debtor- I have a her full name, Dob and nIno and her parents address and that she is a PAYE employee.
I prefer not to discuss on phone as I am at work please.
Thank you.

Then you need to get Judgment before you can enforce. You cant get an attachment to earnings without a County Court Judgment.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one more question please- I only have her parents address though I know she no longer resides there can the paperwork be sent there officially or not?

Last known address only
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does- I will proceed to obtain judgement and take from there.
Thank you and have a good weekend.Regardspeter

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you