How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6795
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

In dispute with a trader over a new sofa which has developed

This answer was rated:

In dispute with a trader over a new sofa which has developed a fault within the right to reject 30 day consumer act 2015. Notified them of the fault on day 30 wanting to get a refund and they are saying they have the right to 1 repair and no refund even though it's within the 30 day law. Is this legal or can I get my refund by current law?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How did you pay or the sofa please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163;200 deposit on Barclaycard and the rest on 2 years interest free credit from finance company.

Ok, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you can reject the goods if it is within 30 days. If you are outside the 30-day right to reject, you have to give the retailer one opportunity to repair or replace any goods or digital content which are of unsatisfactory quality, unfit for purpose or not as described.

If you do not get satisfaction you can also complain to Barclaycard under S.75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

You need to write (to the seller) and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I notified them of the fault exactly early morning on day 30 so still in the refund time required under law. Bearing this in mind just want to verify I'm within my rights to reject and ask for refund? I'm not over 30 days so I don't know how they are trying to force a repair on me saying this is my only option?

Yes you are entitled to a refund.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does Jamie thank you so much for your advice.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all will do that now. Thank you again for your time.

All the very best.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you