How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I are bringing our grand daughter up on a

This answer was rated:

Hi there my wife and I are bringing our grand daughter up on a residence order and have done almost since birth. She has supervised contact with the father as he was a drug addict dealer and alcoholic hence the contact been supervised. He has appeared to clean up his act and presents well and is demanding unsupervised time with the child. We are against this and have said no. He has become very abusive and aggressive on the phone and quite simple we won't back down. Can we continue to say supervised only as it's our judgement and we don't feel we can trust him alone with her. His mum supervises and is happy to continue. As the child gets older thing may well change but for us now it has to be supervised only. Can someone pls advice. Thank you

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is the child and how is contact supervised at the moment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there the child has just turned 5 and at present the father and his mum have 6 hours access this used to take place on a Wednesday which suited us as he doesn't work and we do. Now the child is at school it's on a Saturday and the dad and his mum collect and bring back. We were taking the child and picking up but after so much we thought he could show commitment and come to us. We let the dad have extra time for birthdays and Christmas but always supervised but now he is demanding unsupervised and we just don't feel we can trust him and his own mum agrees. We used to let them come to us when the child was little and in bad weather and give them the run of the house but he stole from us. The reason we are so against the unsupervised contact is for the very few weeks he and the child's mum were allowed the baby home they would inject heroin and smoke crack and didnt think the child was at any risk so you can see why we want supervised
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry would prefer type as money is tight that's why I chose this method

OH please ignore the site popups - this forum is fine.

Given that the supervision is by his own mother it is not onerous and there is no reason why it should not continue

If he wishes to take the matter back to court then he can try - but as things stand you are entitled to simply say no 0 and warn him you will report the harassment to the police if it continues

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks that's at least given us some comfort. Thanks again

YOu are most welcome I hope all goes well

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you