How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6437
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

As a Landlord I have a tenant who is three months in arrears

This answer was rated:

Hi, As a Landlord I have a tenant who is three months in arrears with £5,100 now outstanding - his references were very good - he is a professional Nigerian working for an American oil Company hence the surprise that he will not pay and avoids all contact. This is a one year rental started in May. Can you list the key step by step action points that I should take legally so that he can see I am serious about recovering the money. Should I also inform his company that he not paying rent. Thanks.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie, Just checking that you received my question on 14th October and that you will be able to offer a response soon - many thanks.

Yes. I asked what is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know the correct Legal procedure to follow to claim for the rent arrears. What is the first step - what form should I fill in - then what is the next step if the person still refuses to communicate - then when does it get to the stage when I have to seek help from Bailiffs. So the advice I am after is in simple legal jargon - if this was you as a landlord - what steps/action should I take to recover my debt. Hope this helps clarify - thanks.

do you want to evict?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie, Yes evict - but also to make sure I recover the £5,100 rent arrears and rising each month hence wanted to get from you the correct legal steps to achieve this whole process. Thanks

You need to serve a Section 21 notice which you have done. You also need to serve a Section 8 notice for breach of the tenancy (rent arrears).

Once expired you can issue proceedings for possession using form n5:

And N119:

You ask the Court for possession and arrears.

The Court will list the matter and decide whether to grant possession. If the Court does then you ask for money Judgment on arrears so you get your money,

If the tenant does not leave, then you can get bailiffs to evict.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jamie, Many thanks that is what I needed - I will leave an excellent rating - one final question - as I watch the Channel 5 Programme (Can't pay we'll take it away) - when you mention Court - do you mean County Court - and also County Bailiffs or is it worth while activating High Court Bailiffs. Just a line to answer this is fine as to what you would recommend - thanks.

No,county court bailiffs are fine.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie, You sent me a further email asking if I had any more questions - I have one. I now find that I am covered for non-payment of rent by my Landlord insurance. However I am still upset at this non-payment of £5900 to date and rising. Would you advise me to hire a solicitor and make a separate claim against this person - or would any funds I extract have to be given to the insurance company or can they be kept by me. Would the costs and stress outweigh the benefits. What would you advise.