How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

15 years ago I reported my husband to the police for

This answer was rated:

15 years ago I reported my husband to the police for domestic violence, although they encouraged me to press charges I was fearful of the impact it would have on our 3 children. He was given a recorded cautioning. The children are now adults and I want to know if it is too late for him to be prosecuted.

Hello,I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to answer this for you.

If you were caused ABH or GBH there is no time limit on a prosecution if there were no injuries then the time limit has long passed.

He was also given a caution. This is an alternative to charging and someone in a responsible position at the police made a decision (at least partly informed by your views at the time) that it was not in the public interest to prosecute him. On this basis he accepted a caution.

It will be impossible to resurrect this case and have him charged.

LondonlawyerJ and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello J, would it be possible to take him to civil court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, the doorbell rang and I missed your call, can you call again please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't rated the service as I haven't finished, yet it says I've given a 5 star rating
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still haven't had my £44 call. i want to be reimbursed

I do not know what has happened with the phone call request. Will make enquiry with the site.

As far as a civil action iss concerned that is unikely. You will be out of time for bringing a claim (3 years time limit for pesonal injury actions, and & 6 years imit for most other types of action).