How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and i have decided to end our marriage, he lives

This answer was rated:

My husband and i have decided to end our marriage, he lives with me in my house, mortgage is in my name. he is refusing to move out. Can i do anything to hurry him along? Thanks Denise
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: he has his own house that he rents out, i dont want to make any claim on that. i just want him to move out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we dont have any children.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

how long have you lived together and is there any violence involved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we started living together in 08, married in 09. there is no physical violence but emotional abuse is present
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house was a council house that i bought in my own name and mortgage in 2014. I have lived in the house for 19 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pay for the house, all the bills, insurances, my husband doesn't pay anything towards the house. Up until September i was also providing the money to pay his mortgage, this has now stopped.

Have you issued the divorce proceedings?

What notice does he have to give to his tenants?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not issued any divorce proceedings yet, he has to give his tenant 4 weeks notice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is issuing divorce proceedings the way forward?

If the emotional and/or verbal abuse continues you MIGHT be able to apply for an Order excluding him - but i am afraid that unless there is Physical violence the court does sometimes struggle with making such an order.

This means that starting the divorce proceedings and within those applying for the financial arrangements to be finalised is the only realistic action.

before doing so you could see if he will attend Family mediation to discuss the finances - and the practicalities.

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help

You are very welcome - I hope all goes well

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you