How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35076
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am not allowed to see my grandson. Have I any rights over

This answer was rated:

I am not allowed to see my grandson. Have I any rights over this?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

How old is your grandson and what has happened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a normal nanny to my grandson and have had contact with him until August this year 2016. He is 8 years old and 9 in February 2017. I am a widow of 10 years and lived with my daughter and son-in-law until 2012 and moved out at there request as they were not happy with the way I was living my not really making a new life for myself. Within 6 months of living on my own I met a man who now lives with me. We have an excellent relaitionship and are very happy 4 years later. My daughter and son-in-law met him once 2years ago and decided they didn't like him. After 2years of visiting them at there convenience I have now been told to keep away and my daughter has said goodbye. I might add he has also cut off every member of my daughters family and his family over the last 10years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has cut off his family members mum dad and children by a previous marriage. My family her sister cousin and Aunts and Uncles and finally me.

How often were you seeing your grandson prior to August?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was seeing my grandson about every 2 months at there discretion. As I previously said I lived with them for the first 4 years of his life.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also had phone contact with him until recently once every 2 weeks.

Although the law does not give Grand Parents any specific rights, it is the right of a child to maintain contact with any significant person in his or her life - and you are clearly a significant person to your grandson.

You have an existing close relationship and it can only be good for that to continue.

You will need to attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting with a Family Mediator, but if your daughter refuses mediation you can then apply to the ocurt using a form C100

and paying the fee of £215,

Technically you will need the permission of the court to make the application - but this will be granted so please do not worry about that

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you