How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6454
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We are in dispute with a firm who have done work in our

This answer was rated:

We are in dispute with a firm who have done work in our garden. We have paid the £5000+ bill in full with the exception of an amount of £120 which the firm have implied was for the cost of one of the workmen travelling back to our house to do repairs on some areas which were faulty with their original work. We are refusing to pay this amount because he was doing repairs not new work but for a short time he did assist the other member of staff to fit a new UV lamp to our pond. We signed the firms terms and conditions and one paragraph states - "PSC reserve the right to remove the goods/products fitted" if full payment is not made. Does this give him the right to enter our garden and remove the UV lamp?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have they threatened to come and get the uv lamp?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they say there will be a police officer present.When we paid the balance due we told the frim that we were paying for the UV lamp in full and for the one employee's time and travelling to fit it. They are saying that is incorrect - we have only part paid for the UV and part paid for fitting - can they do that arbitrarily apportion our money to their invoice?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with a police officer present??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie - are you still there?

They can't take it. They would need a court order. The police won't assist as they will say its a civil matter.

To be clear they would need a court order to come and get it. They can't just come on and take it. The police will not be interested.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie - thank you for your answer. Only other question is does he have the right to apportion the amounts we have paid already to his invoice as he sees fit. We have told him that we do not dispute that we asked him to fit the UV lamp and that our dispute is about the charge for fitting. He claims that we have only part paid for the lamp and part paid the fitting.

No. You have made it clear that you are paying for everything save for UV and therefore that is what should be done
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume you mean the UV fitting - sorry its an important distinction Thanks


You can tell them what you are paying for - they can not apportion it differently.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your helpShelley

All the best Shelley. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - have given you a 5* exactly the help we needed.