How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6741
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

A neighbour is occupying part of my land, and has done so

This answer was rated:

A neighbour is occupying part of my land, and has done so for many years, but has not registered with the Land Registry. Is it trespass on my part if I make use of this land?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His building on the land has damaged my property, and I need to access the area to repair the damage.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My neighbour has trespassed on my property over many years, and has paved over the area, causing rain to soak into my garage wall. The adverse possession has not been registered with the Land Registry. I wish to install a damp-proof course, which involves digging a trench in the disputed property, to repair the damage. Could the neighbour claim trespass if I did this?


You own the land and its registered in your name. Therefore even if neighbOur has access, you are and will always remain owner.

That only changes if the registered owner is changed.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you