How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50167
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I had arranged through Help-Link UK ltd to install a combi

This answer was rated:

I had arranged through Help-Link UK ltd to install a combi boiler, found I had asbestos in my airing cupboard which I had to get removed before boiler installation. Help - Link sent a plumber in to remove my hot water tank as it was balancing on the asbestos. He put a hose on the outlet and left it unattended resulting my upstairs landing got soaking wet, Help-Link told me I must not take the carpet up as they would send someone to clean it, but as the water was dripping through my downstairs ceiling and the fact I had no heating I took the carpet up. I also had a secondary leak the plumber caused in my loft tank which I called an independent plumber into fix. HELP-LINK offered me the amount I paid plus £50 as a good will gesture which I refused and then came back with £100 for the plumber and £100 as a good will gesture. what are my rights as the plumber was at fault not putting on a jubilee clip and leaving it unattended.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you provided them with a cost to replace and / or repair the damage? If so, what have they said about this?

Please can you also tell me how long ago this was?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have not given them any cost of replacing my carpet only the plumbers bill, thinking they would come back to me on that. I had the water tank taken out on 15 sept 2016 and boiler installed 20 sept 2016.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. This certainly appears to be a case of negligence where the plumber’s actions were negligent (i.e. fell below the standard expected of a reasonable plumber) and in the process caused you damage.

In such circumstances they would be expected to compensate you for any losses or expenses incurred as a result of their negligence. Only direct costs would be payable so whatever losses were caused as a direct result of their actions. Whilst leaving the carpet to be cleaned could have been a reasonable expectation, that may no longer have been the case if the situation had gotten worse, which it appears to have. So regardless of what they had asked you to do, you may have had to act otherwise and taken the carpet out. That does not mean they have no liability towards it so you are still able to pursue them further as necessary and try to get more appropriate compensation.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you must follow if you are to take this further. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.