How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Causing a person to have a fright or suffer from shock can

This answer was rated:

Causing a person to have a fright or suffer from shock can this be construed as a criminal offence, in particular an assault of some sort?

It depends.

It is quite unlikely to be charged as obviously it is not good use of public money.

There is an offence of assault by apprehension but then you have to apprehend an immediate assault.

There is an offence of S5 public order where you have to be caused harassment, distress or alarm but that is fairly rarely prosecuted now.

S4 public order is more serious and not really relevant here.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you