How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6435
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am tenant living in Lambeth I have lived there for 7 years

This answer was rated:

I am tenant living in Lambeth I have lived there for 7 years I work full time ( shift work)
I have always paid my rent sometimes falling into arrears but always paying dues.
My girlfriend of 6 years had our child in August 2015 she has an amputated left arm and also has 2 boys aged 9years of age and the other 7 years when she gave birth I had to be at hand more, so I would spend a few nights at their address as I was concerned about her and the baby having good support.
In the last 3 months I did rent out 1 room to my girlfriends family members. The council are now in evicting me on the grounds of Subletting my flat.
My question is what can I do to stop this order?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have the council issued you a warning at lol?

@ at all? @

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have issueD a notice to quit the property by the 14th of November
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have my 1 year old daughter with my present girlfriend and I have my 8 year old son who comes to me every weekend
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you receiving my messages

Sorry yes I was on the trial.

Just a notice to quit, no warning?

Why did you rent a room without asking permission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought as I lived there for 7 years as a secure tenant that if I was renting the 1
Room just for couple of months it would be ok

But you never sought permission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then that is a problem. You should not have done this as it would be against your tenancy agreement. As such as you have breached the rules by subletting then the Council are entitled to seek possession.

All you can do at Court is seek a suspended possession order, suspended on the basis you comply with the terms.

You should get a Solicitor to represent you in Court.

I understand that you have a family, but a Judge will say you should have thought about that before you breached the tenancy agreement.

But if it was for a short space of time and they have now left, I would think the court would not order outright possession, but a suspended possession order.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you mean.
I made a mistake but I would like to seek a suspended possession order to try keep my flat..
The courts haven't sent me a date of when to appear at court just the date 14th November of when Lambeth want to seek possession

Yes. make sure you take a Solicitor.

Try and get a suspended order.

Can I help with anything else today?

Jamie-Law and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you