How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I have a quick question please to see if you can help me at

Customer Question

Good evening. I have a quick question please to see if you can help me at all. My brother in law has recently passed away without leaving a will . He has a substantial estate and has no children at all. My sister who was his wife has passed away several years ago . A large amount of cash was deposited in my sister's name while she was alive . This cash has remained in her name . My brother has just one brother left to whom he had no contact at all. He had a lady friend however with whom he has lived for the past two years . My question is , can I make a claim against the cash which is in my sister's name ? Whilst she was alive she always said that I would be ok if she passed away , but do not think she herself made a will. Thank you for any response . Mrs C Hitchon
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am a solicitor with 20 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

If this cash is her cash then you may well be ale to inherit some under the intestacy rules. These are the rules which govern how assets of the deceased are divided up if there is no will.

Brothers and sisters and nieces and nephews of the intestate person may inherit under the rules of intestacy. This will depend on a number of circumstances:

- whether there is a surviving married or civil partner

- whether there are children, grandchildren or great grandchildren.

- in the case of nephews and nieces, whether the parent directly related to the person who has died is also dead

- the amount of the estate.

These issues are often complex and a mis-step can be costly.

How much money are we talking about?