How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6413
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Three months ago my neighbour erected a 4' high x 4' fence

This answer was rated:

Three months ago my neighbour erected a 4' high x 4' long fence immediately close to my front door. One end of the fence has been screwed into my front wall. He refused to consult his deeds and said the fence would not be removed without an official letter. An RICS surveyor investigated and reported that the fence is 6" on my side of the boundary and the neighbour is breaking a deed covenant prohibiting the erection of structures or planting shrubs etc. at the front of the houses. The neighbour has been given a copy of the report with instructions to remove the fence. He is abusive and is returning correspondence torn up into small pieces! I want to remove the fence and hand all materials back to him. Can I do so? I am 84 years of age and can't afford solicitor's fees.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A written response will be fine, thanks.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to remove the fence without any legal repurcussions

You need to write and ask that the fence is removed or say you will seek further steps from a Solicitor.
If he refuses then you can get a local Solicitor to write and ask that it is removed or say you will go to Court.

If that does not work or you do not want to use a Solicitor you can seek a Court order that it is removed. You would need to use form N208:

And N16a:

If you are on low income or pension you may get fee remission for Court fees. The Court will list the matter for hearing and decide whether to make an order that he remove the fence.

If the Court does make the order and he refuses, this could be contempt of Court which he may be warned, fined or sent to prison.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The neighbour, I feel certain, is forcing me to incur legal fees. Frankly I want to get the small fence removed asap, as indicated, and get him (and his wife) out of my hair. I don't think he has any recourse legally, especially in light of the Surveyor's comprehensive report. is it worth risking?

Indeed. Maybe just a Solicitor letter will get that resolved for you?