How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7071
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

Bexley council has managed to gain permission to build

This answer was rated:

Bexley council has managed to gain permission to build car-parking on school land that was denied permission two years ago because of real flood risks. It relied on the report produced by flood consultants who considered only the top of a hill where the school is situated. Both the council and the school were aware of the reality of flooding at the foot of the hill but did not inform the consultants, who did not investigate the possibility even though maps showed clear flood risks. The report did not consider the bottom of the hill where the school owns the aforesaid land and for that reason no car parking plans appeared in the report - this was added after the report was completed. With no strong adverse flooding comments in the report, it gave the council a green light to proceed. There has never been flooding at the top of the hill - the risk at the bottom must be 5% or more, a figure that easily lies in the 'high' classification of flood severity.
The residents do not want the land at the bottom of the hill to be developed.
What can be done legally to prevent this ?

Combine an Freedom of Information request for all documentation held by the council relating to the land , the development of the land and any flooding related matters with a threat to seek judicial review by the courts of the decision of the local council to proceed.

For good measure you can throw in a complaint to the Local Authority Ombudsman if you wish.

Best wishes


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michael,Thank you for your answer.What I also want to know is what legal action might be taken against those parties involved - the school, the council leader, the project leader, and, of course, the flood risk consultants ?Regards,Alan

Dear Alan

The honest answer is that successful action against individuals is unlikely because liability relies generally on a contract or liability in tort which only extends to certain situations.

In the public arena the penalty is usually loss of office/employment.


Michael Holly and other Law Specialists are ready to help you