How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael Holly Your Own Question
Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7049
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
Type Your Law Question Here...
Michael Holly is online now

My father bought the freehold to his property in 1986 but

Customer Question

my father bought the freehold to his property in 1986 but never registered it at the Land Registry. The lease was registered. he died a few months ago. He can prove the purchase by correspondence and there is a transfer signed by company A. Company A sold 45 freeholds on the estate to company B in 1995. Conpany B never demanded ground rent of £18 per annum from my father. The lease has only 49 years to run and we are being asked by company B to pay £70,000 for the freehold.
Is company B correct. They say they bought the freehold in good faith from company A and will not accept our transfer, correspondence and letter confirming receipt of cheque.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any overriding interest to protect him. He was in occupation until his death. It was a detached bungalow rather than a flat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait. Thank you
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is my answer
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you do not respond by 6.00 pm tomorrow I want to cancel and receive a refund of my payment.
Thank you
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Company B cannot buy something which is already owned by someone else. Whether they acted in good faith or not is irrelevant.

If there is evidence that your father purchased the freehold the estate of your father owns the freehold the executor/administrator of the estate of your father should get the property transferred to them on behalf of the estate as a first registration of the land at the land registry.

A local conveyancing solicitor could do this for you at a modest cost.

Best regards