How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I've recently been successful at applying for citizenship in

Customer Question

Hi, I've recently been successful at applying for citizenship in the UK. Years ago (18 years), I changed my given name by deed poll. The US government didn't recognise my new name on my passport and I had to have an AKA on the back of my passport to travel.
Now, even though my citizenship is coming through on my 'new' given name, I'm told that I can only apply for a UK passport on the name that's on my US passport.
After my ceremony, should I enact another deed poll so that I can apply for a UK passport under the name that i've used for many years?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

Once the Ceremony is over you can indeed complete a Change of Name Deed which will allow you to apply for your new passport in your new name

Please ask if you need further details