How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My Mother has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. She lives in

Customer Question

My Mother has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. She lives in her own home and I'm her sole registered carer.
Now, although we share Lasting Power of Attorney over her Financial and Health and Safety, my Brother has suddenly decided her best interest are served by relocating her to his property in Ireland, as soon as Tuesday - inititially in a small room in his own house, whilst a small apartment is built on his 1/2 acre land USING HER SAVINGS !.
Is this legal ?. She doesn't have a clue what's going on, I know from past conversations she doesn't want to go, I Fear that at this time it will be detrimental to her health, and he is already using her funds as his own (he just bought a car and several ferry tickets).
This can't be right - is this not tantamount to kidnapping ?. What about 'Habius Corpus' ?.
I look forward to your comments.
Steve O'Byrne (Mr. )
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

i shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

have you involved Social Services?