How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35088
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If my husband dies or we get divorced/seperated am i

Customer Question

if my husband dies or we get divorced/seperated am i entitled to his private pension he says his financial adviser wants to see my passport and marriage certificate? i do not know why, I am 73 years old and quite ignorant when it comes to my rights
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Is the Financial advisor completing forms regarding the pension in general

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Then it is likely that he wishes to establish proof of identity and proof of your relationship for the Pension Company to allow him to deal with any spouse pension that you would be entitled to in the event you are widowed

I hope that these are of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the documents be required for any other reason? Also am I legaiiy entitled to the pension? Could he state in writing that it goes to someone else
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

NO it is not likely that they were needed for anything else, yes if there is a widows pension it would go to you, it is possible that if it is in fact simply a partners pension he could nominate someone else - but the Trustees of the Pension Fund may be able to overrule that