How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have purchased a second hand car from an elderly lady. I

Customer Question

I have purchased a second hand car from an elderly lady. I gave her a cheque for £1,400 and the funds have left my bank account. On Sunday I helped Miss Ward fill in the V5C document and posted it for her. She gave me the green part 10 of the V5C (New Keepers Details) and the current MOT. When I asked Miss Ward for the key to the car she said I could not have it until I showed her the new V5C document in my name! I called the DVLA who said this was a first for them and they didn't have any answer for me. They said the new V5C in my name would be dated from the date of sale (22nd October) but that it could take up to 4 weeks for me to receive the document. Miss Ward is determined not to part with the car until I produce the new V5C as she believes she is still the registered keeper. I don't know what to do - I've known Miss Ward for 14 years - she is my neighbour - but she's now so elderly and frail I don't want to do anything to upset her but I want the car which I believe is legally mine now. Please help
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Is your neighbour willing to come to an agreement of any kind in relation to this?