How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6437
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My new end terrace house has space for my car to be parked

Customer Question

My new end terrace house has space for my car to be parked at the rear on land that I own. This is accessed by an un-adopted road that ends at my house. My next door neighbours have been parallel parking their 2 cars outside their house and blocking the road, either knowingly blocking me in it preventing me from getting access to my property for parking. I've chatted to them amicably about this in an effort to achieve a resolution as I believe there's room for all 3 of us to park but so that I can drive off without having to ask them to move their car, but they are unwilling to compromise and are pushing me to park my car out on the main road or continue as we are. That's not acceptable to me but I don't know what my rights are or how best to deal with it without falling out with them! Not that they seem worried about that. I'd just like to be able to come and go as I please without having to deal with the situation each day as I find it. Any advice would be gratefully received! Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why do they keep doing this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because it's more convenient for them and they're not prepared to put either of their two cars on the main road, despite suggesting that I should!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You need to get a solicitor to write and ask that they stop doing this or say you will seek a court order restraining them.

If they refuse then you can issue proceedings. You can do this by completing form n1

And n16a

The court will set the matter down and decide whether to make an order stopping them parking there. If the court does and they refuse this could be contempt of court which they may be warned, fined or sent to Prison.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - can you tell me what the law is in th UK concerning access to privately owned land/drive ways via unadopted roads? Thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

It comes under the common law of trespass.

Does that clarify?