Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have purchased a corner unit sofa from DFS, it has not yet

I have purchased a corner unit sofa from DFS, it has not yet been delivered, it was not seen in store, we were only shown a sofa from which the corner unit was derived we were only shown pictures of the actual unit and careful study of pictures online have convinced us subsequently that it is not what we wanted. Can we cancel before delivery or should we wait until after? Delivery is due this week.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Was it specially made for you please?
Have you been given a cooling off period?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was ordered for us, I am not aware of any cooling of period

Online, in store or over the phone?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In store, we were shown the sofa that the corner unit was based on but not the actual corner unit, we have looked it up online since signing the agreement and do not like it

So it is not the one you ordered, or you just dont like it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We saw the sofa that the corner was based on but not the actual corner unit that we ordered. We have since studied the corner unit online and do not like it, it is however due for delivery this week.

Ok - you need to try and cancel it asap. However in law you do not have any cooling off period.

If you had ordered it online or over the phone you would have had 14 days to cancel it - but you did it in store and these rights do not reply.

If it had been different from the actual one, you would have also been able to cancel. But just because you do not like it does not mean in law you can.

But speak to the company, they may be willing to let you cancel it. But in law there is no automatic right.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understood that under the consumer contract regulations we could cancel if we had not seen the item, is this not correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Consumer Contract regulations only apply to your order if the goods have not been custom made to your specification or if you have not examined the product in one of our showrooms. If the Consumer Contract Regulations do apply you can cancel your furniture by notifying us, in writing, before delivery or within 14 working days beginning with the day after the date of delivery.Does this not apply?

Oh you have not seen it all together? Then yes you have 14 days.

I understood you seen it but didnt like it.

If that is the case you have 14 days to cancel as long as it is not custom made.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What does custom made actually mean, this item was ordered in store from a picture and had to be built, does this qualify as custom made?

I dont think so. Custom is coming out to measure up etc.

But cancel without delay

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In person or in writing?

In writing by email and send a covering letter

Does that help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!