How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I lived with my partner for 18 years until she left for

Customer Question

I lived with my partner for 18 years until she left for another man
I had to sell house etc which was in my name
Fro what was left after debts etc I gave her 18000 pounds
A year later she says she wants and is entitled to more under common law ( we live in scotland )
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Whether you would have to give your ex partner anything else would depend on a variety of circumstances. However, her claim would be made under section 28 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006. If you have been separated for more than a year, her claim is time barred. Furthermore, the Court of Session has ruled that if she has failed to raise a section 28 claim she is not allowed to raise a common law claim. See the decision of Lord Becket in the case of Robert Courtney's executors v Yvonne Campbell which you can look up at I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.