How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6461
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am in a formal contractual arrangement were I have put

Customer Question

I am in a formal contractual arrangement were I have put money into a Debenture (no maturity date) issued by a Club, as have others. The Conditions for repayment are part of the Debenture terms and stipulate that the holder must have resigned [from the Club] or died before being placed on a waiting list to be paid off when rising to the top of the list and when and if sufficient funds are available.
It came to my attention in 2011 that the Club has paid some 100 Debenture holders a portion of their debt in return for them waiving the balance owing when they had not yet resigned or died.
I have been resigned for some 15 years but am still 147 on the waiting list and as yet have received no repayment at all.
I would like to know if I could seek redress from the Club by demanding repayment of my Debenture in full [despite my not being at the top of the list] citing that the Club has Breached its Contract. How would the quantum of damages be assessed when I do not know the details of the actual amounts the Club paid away wrongly to Debenture holders at their own motion unbeknown to me at the time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is owing please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.