How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I separated from my husband in 2012 and moved abroad. My

Customer Question

I separated from my husband in 2012 and moved abroad. My husband adopted a cat from the local rescue centre, it had health problems, and needs daily medication. In 2014 I returned to the family home and subsequently divorced my husband. He left behind the cat because he couldn't have a pet in his rented accommodation. The cat needs regular three month check ups and monthly medication - I have paid bills of nearly £300 and my ex-husband has ignored all my requests for a contribution. Can I make a claim for contributions in the small claims court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Did you actually agree to keep the cat for him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My ex-husband didn't ask. Our split was not amicable, with no discussion about the cat Marley.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Do you actually wish to keep the cat?