How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32177
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have been bullied out of my church by a lady and the

Customer Question

I have been bullied out of my church by a lady and the priest. I put in an official complaint and it was changed to my detriment. I have an anxiety disorder which they know about. They have now reported me to the police as the police came to my house saying my behaviour was unacceptable which is not at all true but they are believed as one of them is a priest. I do not know what they said but the police who came to my house and the one I spoke to at the station the following day both said I should get medical help for my mental health. I have a counselor and doctor who are both appalled by all this. The police agreed to drop the allegations as I said I would not go back to church. I have been at that church 49 years and my health is suffering because of all this. What can I do? I feel this is mental health discrimination and cruelty not to mention false accusations to the police.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

What was it that you said or did that incurred the wrath of the priest and this woman?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done nothing. She has done this to people before and the priest is going along with it. I truly have not done anything and have begged to know what the problem is. The archdeacon tried to talk to the priest about it but the priest refused.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My official complaint through safeguard was changed at the top. They lady from safeguard resigned her post over it all. The professional who was assigned to help me with the forms for the co plaint agreed I had a complaint but as I said it was changed after it was submitted the the bishop refused to see the original.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, what was it that you were accused of, what made you feel compelled to leave?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police said the complaint was my behaviour towards her in church. When I tried to tell them it was not true I got very upset so they suggested I get help from my counselor. I said I would not go back so they dropped the case. I am afraid to go back now S I do not know what they will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The police were very nice to me but the woman and priest can anything as I am the one with the anxiety disorder and he is the professional. Before he came to the church I was secretary, sacristan and lead of the choir so I am not crazy as would not have held those positions.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I am still none the wiser, what behaviour have you been accused of?

Did the priest or anyone else see and/or complain about this alleged behaviour?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was no bad behaviour on my part. I keep out of her all the time. The police would not elaborate just said my behaviour towards her, no details at all. That is what I do not understand. She put in the complaint and he was named as backing her up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He being the priest.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

I am surprised that the police did not explain what you were accused of. You have the right to know what it was and to have the opportunity to defend yourself.

What is the outcome you would like from this situation?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like the bullying to stop. To return to my church with fear of what they will do. I would like my complaint felt with by the church and not changed to protect the priest. He wants to leave soon for a better church and I was told the bishop would make sure he leaves with a clean slate. I am treated as a mental health disorder and not a person. I feel I am discriminated against because of it and that has never happen in my life before and certainly should not happen in a church. I would like justice as a human being as this treatment has been going on for six years. She said she wanted me out of church to my face and he says he does not understand mental health and can be very cruel to me which is unprofessional in his line of work. Last year I was tempted to take my life and explained it to both of them in a a letter begging for them to stop. They ignored it. I have tried getting help from MIND but they would not accept the mediation. They should not be allowed to do this to a person. I was hoping the law would!d be on my side as no o e else is.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 1 year ago.

I still do not understand what has happened here and since no formal action has been taken against you it is difficult to advise you as to what you can do other than soldier on.

I am sorry I will opt out and hope another expert can assist better than I.

Best wishes


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!