How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6461
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Dear Solictor, I am a graduate from Sheffield, rented a

Customer Question

Dear Solictor,
I am a graduate from Sheffield, rented a double in NW10 2DL, London. As I have informed my landlord that due to the unstable situation of mine, I may live in for 2-4 months. we had an agreement in the beginning that to inform him one month before leaving. I informed him two weeks before rather than a month because I just got a job in singapore at the end of October.
Now I have paid the rent till 16th of November and he said my rent for next month will still be due on 10th. The problem is he did not tell us his real name, his identification and i paid 2 month rent plus 6 weeks deposit by cash by which he can avoid the tax i think. We had a contract but he failed to send me a copy in two month; Also he doesnt have our deposit into a scheme which i just realised is illegal. He even threated to bring me to the court few days ago.
Is he able to do that? What can i do in this situation?
what can i do if he refuse to pay my deposit back?
Kind regards
Am I able to fine him for what he did
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jim mu name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What was your deposit please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Jamie,
My deposit is amount of six weeks rent in living here. It's 240X6, which is 1440 pounds by cash.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

You are entitled by LAW to x3 the deposit paid as it was not protected. So claim for that amount - £4320

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your explaining14 days is calculated from when?Is the contact valid as I have no copy for 2 month and his not using his real name?And how may I prove my deposit since I paid it by cash and only stated on the contact?For the deposit, does that mean that I can claim to court as long as he did not put it into scheme?How long would these process last?Many thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

14 days from date you send letter. If you have no contract go onto the land registry website and check who owns the property.

If you paid cash I am sure you took money out of your bank. Yes you can claim for the landlord not protecting the deposit.

It can be resolved within a few months.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked this property online but not sure if it is him as he refused to tell me his real name.
Should I pay him the rent of next month at 10th?
How is the possiblility for me to win on court?
Is that possible for him to sue me for any reason?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No, do not pay him.

You can only win in Court if you sue him using his correct or known name.

If he has given you a false name you can sue in that.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are, thank you.
But I still want to know do I have something to be blamed? And what I can do if he blamed me on that?Sorry I tried to get a copy of contact today for you to have a check, but he ignored everything.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No, I think you are ok.

I think you have a claim

Does that clarify?