How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son has been charged with a motoring offence of "Driving

Customer Question

My son has been charged with a motoring offence of "Driving without due car and attention"
He ran in to the back of another car at a traffic light in May 2017. He accepted liability at the scene, exchanged insurance details and the insurance company dealt with the damages.
On Friday of last week, out of the blue, he received a court summons.
He can plead guilty by post, guilty at court, or not guilty.
He intends to plead guilty, but thinks it may be better to attend court to plead guilty rather than by post.He would like to state to the court that although he was responsible, he was looking ahead all the time and just mis-judged the intention of the car in front. He slowed down to avoid the collision, but mis-judged the speed.
He accepts that he misjudged the traffic light situation, but was looking at the road ahead and did slow down before the collision.
He was having counselling for a stress related situation at the time.
Should he plead guilty by post or in court?
Would he be better to have a solicitor represent him? (He is 23 and has no court room experience)
Will his penalty be greater if he attends court?
He has disposable income (after rent, car costs) of £ 569.00 per month. Can he seeks legal aid?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?