How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

OK so you stated I have no rights at all really with regards

Customer Question

OK so you stated I have no rights at all really with regards ***** ***** naming the child etc. If she refuses to name me on the birth certificate do I still pay child support? Also is there a way I can be named on the birth certificate? Seems really unfair that I won't be involved yet she will still be able to get money from me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I was about to add to the answer my colleague previously gave you.

It is true that you have no rights whatsoever until the child is born.

Even then you cannot insist on being there when the child is Registered or named.

HOWEVER the law says that a child is entitled to contact with BOTH parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.

Whilst the baby is tiny then it will be little and often - a couple of hours twice a week maybe - but as the baby grows so should the time you spend with the child until by the end of the years a whole day once a week - and build on from there

If she will not agree then you can apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order

In terms of having Parental Responsibility for the child if your ex will not agree to registering the birth with you, or signing a Parental Responsibility agreement then again you can apply to the court who will grant it

IF you want your name on the birth certificate no matter what (and will pay for the DNA report) then there are separate Court Proceedings you can use.

The starting point is to try and discuss matters with your ex using family Mediation

If that fails then after the baby is born to can make the court application

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details