How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Son & partner were living together. Tenancy in son name

Customer Question

Son & partner were living together. Tenancy in son name only. He asked her to leave many times she refused. He went to prison 3 mths into his 6mth tenancy contract which I believe is protected for that 6mths. She has refused me to collect my sons belongings. When I went there she called police who told me I must leave & to contact solicitor as civil matter. She has been seen advertising items for sale from flat that belong to my son & 11yr old disabled daughter. I have a set of my sons flat keys & on monday my 2 daughters entered flat with keys but found no belongings of my son or daughters. Police say nothing they can do. My son gave me a letter stating that he pass all affairs of flat for me his mum to deal with including bills etc until 6mth tenancy is up. Police not interested just tell me to leave and not come back go to a solicitor. She refuses to give me any contact for the landlord. She has asked me for rent money but I've refused as she is living in flat with new partner & paying no rent no bills. Bills are in my sons name so like water she is using is billed to my son unfairly. When TV licensing turned up she gave my sons name saying he is the tenant she does not live there but never said he in prison. Of course ALL benefits stopped when son went prison. She tells police that tenancy has been signed over to her but no evidence of this as believe cannot be so under tenant protection of 6mth tenancy. But strangely enough police gave told me that she has to leave flat next week as tenancy is up but if signed over to her she would not have to leave. Next week is when my sons 6mth tenancy is up. How can I proceed to get my sons belongings well go about his belongings which she has rid off. I have some receipts for items I've bought for him. I need letter sent to her as advised by police but don't know way forward for this. A legal letter may help to get belongings back. Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this,

What is it you want to achieve please?