How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can you help? In 2007 I applied for POA for my mother. I

Customer Question

Can you help? In 2007 I applied for POA for my mother. I thought POA was granted but have since discovered the solicitor in question has no record of the form only her will.
Since then she has been diagnosed with Vascular dementia and is lucid in the moment and understands what is going on but with no short term memory. I have to have POA to change her house insurance as she is now in care. What is your advice? I have made an appointment with a solicitor locally for next week.
Cn you help?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Have you done a search at the Office of the Public Guardian to see whether this was ever actually applied for or not or, do you know from the solicitor that they never made the application?

Does your mother still have any mental capacity or not? Would a medical practitioner who is familiar with her say that she has the mental capacity to grant you Power of Attorney over her affairs?