How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6453
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I am the Director of a UK company that manages a complex in

Customer Question

I am the Director of a UK company that manages a complex in Bulgaria and collects payments from the owners to cover the maintenance of the communal areas and pay the staff employed at the complex.
Some of the owners are Bulgarian and some are English.
Q- can action be taken against UK owners in the small claims Court for non payment of maintenance in relation to the property in Bulgaria ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Which country is the agreement governed by?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Condiminium Law covers holiday apartments in Bulgaria - although the law was designed for rental property and the maintenance fees for example covering a block of flats - it is not strictly fit for purpose for holiday apartments.Within the spirit of the Act a General Meeting was held in Bulgaria and the maintenance payment fees were agreed by the required majority of owners.It is impossible to force owners to pay their maintenance fees in Bulgaria so we are looking at enforcing payments against UK owners using small claims process - I am aware there is a similar process for small claims under EU regulations
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of the fees within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?