How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My family member privately rents a flat. They have no

Customer Question

Hi, my family member privately rents a flat. They have no savings and struggle to pay all their outgoings every month. If they lose their job (which may happen soon), what will happen to them with regards ***** *****? Where can they go for help? They are male, aged 40, with one child they currently do not see. As a family, we cannot afford to keep bailing them out of trouble.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my nest to help you but I need some further information first

Which part of the Uk is he in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

has he checked his eligibility for housing benefit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but he's currently working. He's had terrible lack of control over money all his life. No matter what he earns, he is always out of money before the next pay day. We've tried time and again to sit down and work out his income and how to cover his outgoings, but it seems pointless. I believe he needs mental help, but he denies it. It worries me what will happen if we all leave him to it. Where his 'rock bottom' may lead. Any advice?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

He can check what benefits he is entitled to here

If he looses his job he will get help with his rent so it need not be the responsibility of the family.

Please ask if you need other details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I allowed to ask another question about a different issue please?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You can ask but site policy is that you may need to ask a separate question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If a stay at home mum to 2 children was to divorce her husband for unreasonable behaviour. Could she stay in the family home with no income of her own? What would she be entitled to financially? Thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

That would need a second quetsion I am afraid - there is a lot of detail involved