How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We own piece land with planning permission to build 4 houses

Customer Question

We own piece land with planning permission to build 4 houses set back from the high street in Hassocks, BN6.
This land is a brown field site which currently has a derelict industrial unit on it which has power and water services running to it. We do not know the location of these services below ground.
The only means of laying commensurate services is under a private access road, owned by Mid Sussex Council over which we have access rights.
In order to supply Gas, Water and Power to our newbuild properties, our suppliers, UKPN, British Gas and Southern Water will need to dig up this access road to lay pipes/ ducts etc.
Will they/ we have an implied easement in order to do this? If not, will the council have the right to charge us/them for such easements? if so, can they hold us to ransom or is there a reasonable scale of charges which would apply? Could easements be withheld?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.


Do you still require assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are still awaiting a response.