How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34911
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter, 32, single, has severe bipolar dis and BPD.

Customer Question

My daughter, 32, single, has severe bipolar dis and BPD. Many self harms over 5 years. Each time she is admitted to mental wards she tells doctors she is ok and no more suicidal. So they discharge, only next day to self harm again. Repeat such several times now. I am fearful of losing my daughter. Can I get the law to help me decide solely for her care, admission against her will?
Dr B Pal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What is it that you would like to know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May I have your advice if I can take like a court order to take charge of my daughter's medical matters esp to get mental hospital treatment as an inpatient because she discharges herself after only a day or two as she tells doctors she is no longer suicidal, whereas she has again self harmed herself the very next day. Happened a few times like that. I fear she has not had long enough management. The doctors say they can't keep her against her wish.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Do the Doctors say that she actually has Mental Capacity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's why they say they can't detain her against her wishes..
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Is she ever in a position where she does NOT have capacity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When she harms herself, or when she says she might do something like jumping off a brdge but at these times she is not with a doctor!! Later she says to them she is no longer suicidal but I am ringin you now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will call another time but pl respond to dilemma that she can be suicidal frequently, and self harming often but picture different when with a docotr, thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Has she ever been sectioned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at least twice in last 4 years.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

When was the last time?

Would she be willing to sign a Lasting Power of Attorney in your favour?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last was few weeks ago. She wont sign anything like that!
Can you please advise if there are any provisions at all in English law to say I can take decision for her when she is so suicidal that they keep her in hospital even if she refuses ?
Otherwise may I thank you and close this for now?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

YOU can only do this if you are appointed as her Deputy

Details here

My concern is that the process can be a long one and given the fluctuating nature of the disability your daughter may well be "better" when the Order finally comes to be made

However the Court of Protection does have other powers that may be of use

and sadly this is the only potential option you have

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome i hope all goes well